A year ago, I was able to attend the Inspiring Impressionists Exhibition at the Denver Art Museum with my dear friend Sheryl! What an awesome time. I bought this poster of one of Mary Cassatt's works at that time. And just recently, I got around to framing it! (Russ' birthday present to me.) I am so excited and it now hangs in my living room.
I thought it would be fun to share some of the other art decor hanging in my house as well. The following two posters, were bargain finds in different antique stores through the years. We re-framed Asters by Claude Monet at the same time as the first one.
Looking around my house, there seems to be an intense interest in Mr. Monet. I now have six framed pictures of his (most are much smaller). I purchased my first one probably 15 years ago. Long before I knew much of the Impressionist movement. I loved the visible brush strokes in his paintings. I loved the use of color too.
Growing up, and while in my first year of college, I was in several art classes. Due to the expense of art supplies, I quit by my sophomore year. I've tried to dibble in art at different times over the years, and often get discouraged with my feeble efforts. It proved more frustrating for me than rewarding, and I took quite a long break in trying to produce anything artistic myself. Art needs to be accompanied by discipline and time; two things that I had been lacking for quite awhile.
Unfortunately, with my break from producing art, I in essence took an unintentional break from enjoying it. Fortunately however, once you are moved by art, it will continue to speak to you; and without its exposure in your life, you feel empty and are left longing for its presence again. And that is one of the reasons why I enjoyed the art museum so very much. Living in a rural community does not offer such experiences, and I long for more of them.
And so, having identified an ongoing need for artistic stimulation and expression in my life, I ordered a DVD lecture series from The Teaching Company. The series is titled From Monet to Van Gogh: A History of Impressionism, and contains 24 thirty minute lectures. I am vastly enjoying the evenings when I can sit back and learn; sit back and drink in the historic scene that the Impressionist movement came out of, and of course, enjoy the beautiful pieces of art that are highlighted in these lectures.
As soon as I land some money, I will begin to travel the world, making stops at the plethora of art museums and see the originals!
1 comment:
I'm afraid 'landing some money' isn't going to happen if you stick around here. Unless maybe one of our parishioners plays and wins the lottery. =)
My mother really likes impressionism too. She says that's the way she sees the world anyway. (She never wears her glasses.)
Post a Comment