Back in September, we had some run away episodes as Dellen would leave to find his daddy across the street at church. (Maybe a downside to working across the street). Dellen is even smart enough to know that the back doors are locked, so he'll take off running around to the front. I've ran after him before and learned to chain lock the doors for awhile. We thought that was all behind us, but recently it has started up again at a much advanced level.
Sunday night, we arrived home from our marriage small group, and Russ had a message on the answering machine to go play basketball with some college guys. I encouraged him to go, both of us knowing Dellen would go into hysterics!
As Daddy drove away, Dellen ran out. I picked him up right before he ran into the street to get in front of the van! We came in and I locked the bottom lock of the door. It was late, and we were trying to get everyone to bed. I was helping Sam, and thought I heard the door open again. I put on shoes quickly and barely saw Dellen running up the middle of the street in the dark. I took off running. Unfortunately, Dellen is a fast little three year old and I am not one of those mommies that finds running my favorite past time! He kept going...I kept following! I'm laughing at the same time now because he is so fast and I'm wondering how far I will run before catching up with him. I will add he had a good head start!
Well, I did catch him before he crossed Main Street. I picked him up, so out of breath, that we walked slowly home. I just held him while he continued to cry out for Daddy. At home, we talked about the dangers; darkness, cars not seeing him, dogs that would chase him on that side of town, and Mommy just not knowing where he would have gone. He shared he didn't know which direction Daddy drove off to, but he was just following him. I want my daddy....I want my daddy...I want my daddy!
The door was chain locked for the remainder of his waking hours!
When Daddy left yesterday, Dellen knew not to run outside again. Instead he stood and cried out at the door. I want my daddy...I want my daddy...I want my daddy!!! I didn't get the camera in time to get the picture of his hands up against the glass door.
Poor guy. Life is tough when you have the best Daddy.
1 comment:
Well, speaking from the other side, I know the guys were really glad Russ could come play ball with them. =) Poor little Dellen, though!
Post a Comment