Thursday, February 17, 2011

Happenings

I've just spent about five minutes trying to take a picture of my new hairstyle; quite unsuccessfully. I've had two haircuts in the last three weeks. Not sure if the strong desire for a makeover is the result of all of our transitions, or the need for an easy and perky new style to accompany another year added to my life. I've enjoyed my long hair, but find that most often I wear it up in a rather heavy bun. The first haircut, added many layers lightening up the load. But it still took too long in the mornings. Today, we took off a little more than three more inches, and added several more layers and texture to it. The style falls to the tops of my shoulders and layers up from there. It feels light and ready for spring; the latter of which is giving a glimpse of what she has planned for us here shortly.

Russ has fun things planned for this weekend - my birthday! We have two nights without children and live within thirty minutes of Wichita, which will produce all sorts of activities at our fingertips. Our choices are nearly limitless...it is still Wichita. We'll do our best to get glammed up and take a picture. The symphony is a strong possibility for Saturday night.

Valentine's Day was fun. I continue to enjoy the lovely flowers, and the boys each received awesome Mylar balloons and candy sacks. Sam's was delivered to school, but he said that was awkward. He almost looked in agony carrying it to the van. He hadn't read the card yet, and I wonder if he was overwhelmed thinking who it was from. He was relieved to learn it was from Mommy and Daddy. We were all the benefactors of Russ delivering flowers on Monday for a man in our church who runs a flower shop in Newton. And Russ loved his day. How spectacular to be the bearer of wonderful displays of love and affection. Russ had delivered flowers on one other Valentine's Day when I worked at a florist in Weatherford when we first moved to Corn. We also enjoyed our birthday time with Mom and Dad, and I think they enjoyed Mom's birthday meal. A very special day indeed.

Dellen's big news was that he is learning to tie his shoe. He was ecstatic yesterday with his success! What a content little guy he is! He has found a heavy rope, slung it over a tree branch out front in the "climbing tree" and is swinging back and forth with smiles. I'm glad he and Sam will have some serious play time after school and that the boys and I are home this evening. Sam's time was cut short yesterday due to an incredible amount of homework. Poor guy. I had to erase 56 answers of triple digit addition. So instead of a half of sheet of math remaining, we basically had to start over, and do two sheets. I think he gets it now. Friends, please pray for him. He simply strongly dislikes school now. And I don't know if we are just hitting that age where kids start to not enjoy it so much anymore, or if his attitude is a direct result of our move? I never wanted to move him in the middle of the year. But, that was out of my control and we just do the best we can now. I feel he is happy though, and is making friends at school, so progress is being made.

Massive laundry awaits. And still, several boxes. I feel an urgency now as we carried a small desk in from the garage this morning that has received some water damage. I think the garage is damp with the added moisture from this winter, and it sure is humid today! I am fearing for all my framed artwork that is out there still!

2 comments:

the Quickes! said...

I want to see your hair!! Praying for Sam. We want him to be happy! Hope you have a fabulous weekend. I went to the Wichita symphony on a date in high school - I felt so sophisticated! :)

Carina said...

Oh yes, we must see the hair. Hope your birthday was all you hoped!