Monday, January 17, 2011

Peanut Butter

We go through a lot of peanut butter in our house. Well that, and ketchup, but this is a post on peanut butter not how both my sons swirl loads of ketchup on their mac-n-cheese.

Before moving to Corn, I had never seen peanut butter used on pancakes. It wasn't just a random site there either; several people ate theirs that way. I grew accustomed to it. I bore a native son that partakes in the ritual. It has become a standard table setting when our family has pancakes. It is only when we venture out of state that we are reminded it is a cultural phenomenon.

Remember the post this summer where we couldn't find any at the cozy little mountain pantry? We had pancakes at our new church for Wednesday evening supper this week, and there was no peanut butter on the serving table. Sam threatened that he wouldn't be eating his pancakes if there was no peanut butter. Some people are such fanatics. I found some buried in the church kitchen. The ladies were more than obliging saying to keep it out for anyone else that might want some. Doubtful.

It is endearing to me that Sam is an Oklahoman. His foundation is strong. And less I start rambling on about red dirt, I best get back to peanut butter.

We had pancakes about an hour ago, and opened up a new jar of peanut butter I bought at Dillon's this week. The choices I have at the grocery store are unbelievable! I really have lived rural for many years. And although, still in a small town, it is very progressive and so conveniently located next to Wichita, there is access to many items. I was drawn to some white chocolate peanut butter. All natural ingredients and simply scrumptious. Reading the jar more, I learned that it is made here. Lori, add this little shop to our list of destinations for our next visit.

2 comments:

the Quickes! said...

Peanut butter - love it! I think that's awesome that you've documented this detail about Sam's roots. Too cute. And yes, we'll have to check out the shop!

Carina said...

Well, it's common in Texas too. Just sayin'. We're not that weird. Ok, maybe we are that weird. Way to stick to your okie roots, Sam!