Monday, January 10, 2011

Narnia

I'm learning not to look for specific boxes, but to embrace the ones I easily come across. The other day I saw our box of ski clothes; very convenient for when the snow fell today.

There are several walking trails in Newton, and North Newton has two lovely wooded trails just down the road from our house. The second day we were here our family walked on one trail, and I have been excited to revisit the wooded trails in the snow. So when Sam came home from school today, the boys and I all got our ski gear on and ventured into what Dellen called Narnia. It took us thirty minutes to gear up and I feared one of us would have to go to the bathroom before we finished getting out the door. In the end, the trail was worth the bundling efforts and we loved discovering its treasures from the tall trees, a creek, a red barn, horses (a real surprise), and the open field we ran through.











Their was a Tall Grass Prairie Exhibit at the Kauffman Museum where we were walking. We enjoyed that little jaunt through the native grasses as well.
The weather complicated some plans of ours today, and I wasn't able to join Russ in Wichita for a conference type of event he is attending today and tomorrow. I had been looking forward to being there as I've been feeling a bit lonely and trapped inside my house. Which is odd really because I truly am an introvert and love being by myself. In the end, however, I was thankful that I got to enjoy some freshly fallen snow with my boys this afternoon (close to seven inches fell here). It was sad for me to send Sam off this morning and think of missing out on any snow play with him today. I'm reminded again that I need to be here for the boys right now during our transitions. It wasn't until a couple of days ago I thought I should go to Wichita at all. In the end, God placed me where I needed to be as He always does. The trail and especially the trees, helped me to connect with some energizing joy today. I really enjoyed that outing. I am simply amazed at the gift of these trails and their close proximity. I feel safe on them and will access them often.

3 comments:

the Quickes! said...

Look at you, with all your blogging already! I'm so amazed you're finding the time amid your unpacking! I'm also amazed at the beauty of your surroundings. You're never going to want to come to NJ again now that you have your own wooded trails right outside your door. :( But seriously, I'm so happy for you - I know how much you appreciate beauty and how much you'll love those trails!

Carina said...

What a beautiful snow! We haven't had anything here, yet. W'ford had a slight dusting yesterday, but nothing in Corn!

Carina said...

Oh, and you're a better Mommy than I am. I would've just kept Sam home a day. =)