Wednesday, September 9, 2009
There are some changes around our house...
Welcome to our humble abode, the Mennonite Brethren Parsonage. In the last few weeks, we actually finished a project that has been dreamed about since last winter and we painted (well, Russ anyway) our front door with some paint purchased from the Corn Hardware Store before they closed forever after 54 years. I love it!
Part of my 2009 New Year dreams included having Russ make me some bookshelves. His time is so precious that it was quite the investment over several months. The wait was so worth it! He made the two taller bookcases on the ends. His grandfather Dan made the other two middle ones. I now have ample space for our books, and photo albums. The shelves are in our guestroom, and the ones closest to us here, have sort of become my work station. I have my grandmother's sewing machine in its cabinet, which doubles as a wonderful little desk in that room.
We (and I can really claim my part in this process) finished repainting our bathroom this week. I have shell decor in there, and we used to have a coral bathroom, that has actually, looked more pink for say seven years or so. Using paint that we already had to be cost efficient, we chose to repaint in a chocolate brown. Again, I love it! I am so pleased with the end result! I know that it is rather cliche to have seashells in the bathroom, but where else do you display them? My shells are very special to me. We have conch shells from Key West, Cayman Islands and Africa. I have collected several shells on the California coastline in my childhood as well, and they are displayed in antique jars. What fun memories these shells hold. It is dreamy to remember snorkeling on my honeymoon with Russ in Key West, and again in Cayman Islands. I would have loved to take home shells from St. Thomas when we were there, but there were strict rules against it.


And the newest change is the family piano that Dad and Mom Claassen brought down over Labor Day weekend. It was fun to hear the story of when Dad's parents purchased the piano when he was a child. Rather sad actually, as a family was traveling by that needed to sell the piano to have some money to support their family. We figured Dad must have been about nine. Hopefully, Sam and maybe even Dellen, will begin lessons this month. Thanks Dad and Mom for your generosity and the trip to bring it down to our house. We are thrilled.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Only the really cool people have blue front doors!! Welcome to the awesome club!
We've got all sorts of plans for shelving that Art's going to make too. Russ has inspired him already, so maybe this will be the start of good things.
Where else can you put shells. They just have to go in the bathroom. It's something to do with the proximity of water. I don't know, though...I'm not sure I'm prepared for dreamy memories of anything in the bathroom. There's got to be some kind of compromise.
Anyway, looks like the kind of house that you need to invite your friend over for tea to see. hint hint. =)
I love it all! Your chocolate bathroom is gorgeous! And I do love the seashells. I wish I had a collection like that.
I wish you many happy times with your boys and the piano! Russ can probably tell you that he and I were not especially fond of our piano lessons - but of course we're now very grateful for them. If you inspire a love of it in your boys, you'll be worthy of mother of the year! :)
Post a Comment