Thursday, September 3, 2009

July Travels - Fire Station Excursion

Sheryl's brother, Craig, is a firefighter (and actual driver of the vehicles) and we were able to have a tour of his station. Sheryl, Taylor, her parents, my boys, my brother Ryan and his girlfriend Amanda, and my mom and her two children that she nannies for, all took a mini field trip and visited the station and tried on items for about an hour and a half. Craig shared so much with us. I am really grateful for men and women like him and the service they give in their communities.



Brendon, the youngest boy here, accidentally pushed the horn button on the truck. I jumped! It is a heart pounding feeling. And before the visit was over, a real call came through and the sirens blared. We were all about to leave so the guys could eat lunch. A call came in through dispatch. Our touristy group stood back to get out of the way, took a side door and stood off in the grass not to walk in front of the main doors the trucks would drive out of. Those guys are off in literally seconds. They receive just enough info to know which vehicle to jump into (Fire, Ambulance, Car Wreck, First Responder, etc.) The rest of the information comes to them in route. Marilyn (Craig's mom) has never seen him go off on a call during a visit. It was emotional to me - again what service! They respond to a wide variety of calls.





It is unbelievable how heavy just his hat is! I can't remember now, but their uniform is very heavy; then add in the gear and carry some hoses. I tried to lift a coiled hose, and thought I'd tip right over. These men are buff! Craig shared that there were two fire fighter ladies at their station. I am impressed!







1 comment:

Carina said...

Looks like Ryan didn't have any trouble with the hose! =)