Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Corn's Heritage Day in June

Let me post about another event we experienced in June...Heritage Day, Corn's celebration of the different ethnic groups present in Corn.

Festivities kicked off with a children's bike parade. Children were encouraged to decorate their bikes to represent an ethnic group. We didn't know until the night before that we'd be around, so our own decorations were a bit skimpish. Dellen is found sporting a Native American feather headband. Sam also has one, but decided he would rather be Sam riding his bike.

There were different blowup activities (which unfortunately, went mostly unused due to the extreme temperatures that day. That plastic burns!), horseback rides, and game/activity tents like ring toss, etc., dunk tanks, and most importantly FOOD BOOTHS! I loved going around to each booth and supporting them! The MBY hosted good ol' American hot dogs, chips and pop. The Spanish Ministries group had delicious tamales, flautas, tostitos, beans and rice. This booth was my favorite! Very authentic food. The next time I want to eat Mexican food, I want to call these ladies up and make an order rather than go to our favorite Mexican food restaurant - and that says a lot! There were also German Mennonite cookies, peppernuts, schnetke and the verenika dinner options. So many talented people!

Sam loved going to the different booths, earning tickets to purchase junk. Dellen was quite taken with the horse truthfully, and spent most of his day with her. He even went home to get his cowboy hat, and later on asked the horses owner if she could make her run. As most of the other children by that time had lost interest in the horse rides, Dellen spent ride after ride trotting around the grass! What fun! When he grows up, he now wants a motorcycle, a four wheeler and a horse! Me too buddy, what are we going to do about it?

We may live in a community that only hosts about 500 people. But, they are creative people full of love and service. It was a grand day, even if I sweat so much that I sported the sweaty salt marks (in all the most embarrassing places) on my shirt all afternoon!

3 comments:

the Quickes! said...

You've been a busy blogger! So sorry, I've just been on the computer long enough lately to do my own blog and haven't even checked yours! Looks like you're having a lot of fun times this summer, despite that nutty heat. Tell Dellen that when I strike it rich and have my own ranch, I'll buy him a horse!

Carina said...

Just looking at those pictures makes me feel like the sun is baking my scalp.

That was one crazy day, but you're right, it was worth it.

Where are you guys going to keep the horse? I'm not sure the parsonage backyard will work out real well. =)

Karla said...

Hey! Had a chance to look over your blog. Great job. I love the pics, and I am happy you all have had a great summer! Hope to see you soon! Miss you! Karla