Anyhow, on Friday night, Dellen had a little injury. At the start of the second half, he came and tapped me on the shoulder. I turned to look at him and his face was covered in a veil of blood. His school sweatshirt covered. He said he stood up under the bleachers and hit his head. Russ swooped him up, and I followed. Our destination - the bathroom for paper towels. We attracted a lot of attention due to the blood. As we passed the concession stands, I asked for ice. The lady who brought us the ice was a nurse and she assisted us in the bathroom. We were advised to go to the nearest emergency room and off we went to Elk City -even farther west from home. Luckily, Sam was able to stay at the game with a classmate and later went home with his family.
Russ took several pictures on his cell phone. We had very prompt service at the ER and miraculously only ended up being there about an hour. None of these pictures show what the poor guy looked like before heading to the bathroom. Those facial wounds bleed so profusely. His cut is about 3/4 of an inch and went to the bone. It is located at the top of his forehead directly under the hairline. Since the cut is on his hairline, in the bathroom hair was all over his face flowing in the blood.
On a quick side note, you'll notice that Dellen's hands are in his pants. It is warm down there he says. Both my boys have gone through (or for Dellen, is still in) phases of holding our cheeks and necks because they are warm. I've recently noticed that Dellen has been holding his lower stomach since it is also warm. Oh boy; all I can think of is the TV Sitcom Married with Children that aired in the 90s.
Dellen was remarkably strong and calm. He is such a brave boy.
They took his shirt off so it wouldn't get all wet when they cleaned out the wound. Then draped him with sterile cloths. There was only this one little hole at the top, so Dellen's face was even covered up. Even with that he remained calm. I had to hold down his legs and hands, which started out just holding his hands. The doctor said the worst part would be the shots to numb his forehead. And yes, that was slightly painful for him. However, we don't think they took effect. He really cried out during the actual stitches and I knew he was in pain. The doctor hurried though and we were sent to Braum's for a special brave boy treat. The doctor didn't consult with us before he announced this plan to Dellen, but it was easy to follow through on nonetheless.
This matted hair really dried by the time we drove home. Russ dropped Dellen and I off at home around 10:45 and he went on to yet another town to pick up Sam. What a late night!
Some pictures I took at home with my adorable and happy again boy in his bath.I'm glad we don't know in advance what our days hold. I would have never imagined while Dellen and I were making sugar cookies in the morning, that twelve hours later we would be sitting in the ER with him getting stitches. I don't even want to know the injuries I'll go through with these two precious boys of mine!
2 comments:
Poor little guy!
His first facial scar...now he really is a man.
Poor Dellen! That looks nasty! Your poor heart!
Post a Comment