Friday, January 27, 2012

Reflections

What a blessing it is when the Inspired Word of God comes to life off the page and brings conviction, hope and His promises. I wish that every time I read the Bible, I would have those experiences. I pray for them. I often pray that the words I read will directly apply to my life at that moment. For instance, God has been calling me out on my sin. I have struggled to live in step with the fruit of the Spirit: love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self-control. I've been reading in Romans and could really identify with Paul when he says in Chapter 7:21 "It seems to be a fact of life that when I want to do what is right, I inevitably do what is wrong." What a convicting challenge to live so intentionally in the Spirit.


A few days later, He fills me with hope as I was reading from Psalm 18:28-36.

"LORD, You have brought Light to my life; 
my God, You light up my darkness.
In Your strength I can crush an army;
with my God I can scale any wall.
As for God, His way is Perfect.
All the LORD's promises prove true. 
He is a Shield for all who look to him for protection.
For who is God except the LORD?
Who but our God is a Solid Rock?
God arms me with strength;
He has made my way safe.
He makes me as surefooted as a deer, 
leading me safely along the mountain heights. 
He prepares me for battle; 
He strengthens me to draw a bow of bronze.
You have given me the shield of your salvation.
Your right hand supports me;
Your gentleness has made me great.
You have made a wide path for my feet to keep them from slipping."


There have been times too, when I am not even sure of the words to pray, and I turn to the Holy Spirit to direct my prayers and pray on my behalf. I was having one of those moments this morning; hurting for so many loved ones that it is unbearable. The brokenness of this world presses heavy on my heart. I continued reading in Romans, and today in Ch 8:26-30, I was reminded:

"And the Holy Spirit helps us in our distress. For we don't even know what we should pray for , nor how we should pray. But the Holy Spirit prays for us with groanings that cannot be expressed in words. And the Father who knows all hearts knows what the Spirit is saying, for the Spirit pleads for us believers in harmony with God's own will. And we know that God causes everything to work together for the good of those who love God and are called according to His purpose for them. For God knew His people in advance, and He chose them to become like His Son, so that His Son would be the firstborn, with many brothers and sisters. And having chosen them, He called them to come to Him. And He gave them right standing with Himself, and He promised them His glory." 


Conviction. Hope. Promises.




Scripture taken from The New Living Translation Bible.

1 comment:

the Quickes! said...

Love the Psalm 18 passage. Thank you for sharing your journey and being such a blessing!