Thursday, November 10, 2011

Books

When my oldest, Sam, was a toddler we would rhyme away our day. It all began during bath time with sayings such as “bye-bye bathwater I am squeaky clean, from my head to my toes and all in between.” These precious moments in our day were turned into a book, The Bye-Bye Book. I published that book in the spring of 2008. I am still selling a few here and there, and often give them away as baby gifts. They are on sale here at a 20% discount at present. I also still have a few copies that anyone could buy directly from me if interested.

While it is fun to sell some copies, the book is mostly a special reminder of how endearing mothering little ones is. I am especially fond of my own adorable boys and our times spent together.The Bye-Bye Book

One afternoon, I was working on the following page, when my little toddler came out from his nap and saw me either drawing or painting (I cannot remember which at present). Rocking image bye bye book

Sam asked for pen and paper and drew this picture below. I was amazed and my heart touched like never before. He drew a mom and her baby and then expressed the love between them. He had never drawn anything so complex at the time. I was deeply moved, and decided to use his drawing on the dedication page for that book. Sam's Drawing

About that same time, I also wrote an alphabet book. Regretfully, I never published that in time to use with my eldest as he learned to read. In fear that a repeat would happen with my youngest, I really got to work on it the winter of 2009-2010, finishing 26 drawings. And last fall I started on the paintings…just in time for our life to turn upside down in a move. I remember sadly packing away the book project knowing that the timing would be detrimental for the goal of completion.

In these last few weeks, I’ve opened that box and have begun working on the illustrations again. The time I can focus on the task is not nearly enough as I’d like, and I have so far to go even if my schedule allowed all day devotion to the project. And as Dellen is reading more and more, I am saddened that we didn’t get to have the book with us throughout his journey. I will keep plugging away, however. As a result, the other afternoon I was working on the following picture and still had the page out on the table when the boys came home from school. You won’t believe what happened next.Letter D

Dellen asked for paper and paints and he proceeded to paint the lemonade drink. (Note the drink in the picture above. He even put an ice cube in his drink). We sat together, both of us painting, and a few minutes later I looked over to see his little person - with a heart! And my little person was loving on me so much and relishing our moment together. It was just like that moment probably six and a half years ago with Sam, other than Dellen being older. We hugged and I told him that his picture would be used in my new book when I dedicate it to him. Dellen's drawing

2 comments:

the Quickes! said...

Love this!!! What a pair of memories to cherish forever. I'm just so impressed with your talent and heart for these book projects. I want to encourage you as you forge ahead to finish your latest one. Any labor of love, following the calling and inspiration of your heart, is so worth it!!

Carina said...

The boys are obviously very creative, just like their mommy. =)