Monday, May 14, 2012

Unfortunate Biking

The boys had an early release on Friday, and being the beautiful day that it was, our family decided to enjoy some quality time together on our bikes again. We had packed some goodies to have during a break down by the creek. Unfortunately before we got to our destination, there was an accident.

Sam and I clipped tires as he swerved in front of me. I saw what was about to happen, yelled out his name, and then felt my face skidding along the concrete path. Sam was able to stay upright; I am so very thankful for that. But if I ever took one for the team, it was at that moment. I had my helmet on; without it, I’m sure I would have ended up in the ER. And in a most amazing God moment, I had tightened my helmet about fifteen minutes before the accident. I probably haven’t done that in two to three years. It just felt loose that afternoon. That still gives me stirrings to think about.

Russ rode his bike home to go get the van to come pick us up. The boys waited with me, not even wanting to ride their bikes while they waited. Sam felt horrible. Dellen was scared. Later that night Dellen was praying and thanking God that I was okay and saying he thought I had died when I didn’t move. Tears were in his eyes. (Death of a parent was on his mind, as I’ll mention at the end of this post).IMG_1061 IMG_1062 IMG_1063 IMG_1064It didn’t take too long for my chin to start swelling.IMG_1076IMG_1079 Later that same evening. These sores just oozed and crusted, oozed and crusted for a few days. IMG_1085Saturday’s look. I went to a graduation open house and a funeral looking as pictured below. Dellen kept asking if I really wanted to go out and be seen like that.IMG_1097And so today, Monday, I look like the following. I’m either sporting a purple gotee or a most unfortunate birth mark. My knee and ankle are still oozing and haven’t begun to scab over yet. I’m trying to expose them to air more and more to aid in the process. My lips are healed and there is not near the discomfort in my face. Saturday and Sunday, it was still puffy. I am very sore though, and taking ibuprofen.IMG_1105

While I’m not thrilled, I am certainly thankful for so many little things that went just right to not make this experience worse. At times, I find it rather humorous.

The funeral we went to on Saturday afternoon was for my hairdresser’s husband, Corey. He died at age 42 after losing his second battle to brain cancer. They have one son, who is a 3rd grader. They have been a strong and courageous family with a tremendous testimony throughout his battle. His funeral was a celebration of his life on earth and the eternal life he has now entered, made possible only through Christ Jesus His Lord and Savior.

3 comments:

the Quickes! said...

Wow, you really took a beating. I'm so sorry you had this experience! I hope you'll all get back on those bikes again soon and start making some HAPPY biking memories!

the Quickes! said...

Also, I just nominated you for a Liebster Blog Award! Congratulations!

Carina said...

Glad things are healing up at last!