Monday, September 6, 2010

Another August Update

This entry is simply a garden update from August that never happened.
The garden already looks vastly different. The corn and the gourd vines are gone. The basil grew taller than the poles shown here and has laid over in several directions. I am still using it, but plan that I will soon try and dry a bunch of it.
Here is a little idea why I feared for snakes when I went back towards the garden. I joked with the neighbors that the vines were going to overtake their vehicles too. (We did try to keep them contained on our yard!) I now have several decorative gourds on our front lawn that "tumbled" out of our old wheel barrow and landed next to our dried cornstalks. How I wish some pumpkins would have grown as well!

Green peppers, jalapeno and cerrano peppers are all a success.

One of my buddies. I always kept an eye on him, lest I walk straight into his web.
The corn was an utter failure! Next time I will be sure to thin the stalks out and give fewer plants a better chance of success. We did manage one meager meal though.
Carrots! What do I do with so many carrots? They taste different than the ones in the store, so the kiddos aren't all that keen on them.
Cucumbers were another huge success, and I've been canning away. I'll taste the first can of dill pickles after six to eight weeks, and then we'll decide if they are edible and worthy to be shared.
I've also canned apricot jam from Corn apricots picked earlier this summer. I have a counter full of apples that I plan on making into apple sauce and canning hopefully sometime this week. I'm slowly get the knack for canning. Although, it would be much simply with the right equipment to do it with - especially canning tongs.

Overall, the garden has been fun. I really dread being out in it during the hotter months. We've had several cherry tomatoes, but the biggest disappointment is that I haven't had more large garden tomatoes. They are my absolute summer favorite! Dellen loves the cup or so of cherry tomatoes he gets maybe twice a week at lunch though.

3 comments:

Carina said...

Well, aren't you just Ms. Susie Homecanner! Your garden is beautiful, but you realize that you had to do all that work to take care of it and harvest the crops because of its beauty. I, on the other hand, had absolutely nothing that would grow in my pathetic garden plot, but also had zero hours spent canning said produce. =)

Lisa said...

I'm not smart enough to make applesauce. When you figure out how to do it, will you tell me how so I won't have to embarrass myself by asking Blondie's grandma?

the Quickes! said...

I want to come to your house and try those pickles with you! And some zwiebach and apricot jam too, please! I love it that you had your garden this year. I was gardening vicariously through you!